Approximately twenty minutes from New York City, Temple Emanu-El is conveniently located across and on the Hudson waterway, accessible by car, bus or light rail from Jersey City and Hoboken. As a congregation with over a hundred years of history, we are proud to be extending our legacy into the future with a Rabbi, new congregants, a Hebrew school and renewed energy to meet the needs of the congregation in its next stages.
In 1911, a group of young Jewish leaders in Bayonne realized the need for an alternative in the community’s religious life. Up to this time, the only Jewish congregations were Orthodox. They desired a synagogue in which most of the traditional liturgy would be maintained but also feature the use of some English in the services, as well as the Rabbi’s sermon. The cornerstone of the building was laid on July 20, 1913. The Temple grew throughout the years, led by a prominent group of Rabbis with a strong congregational life. A hundred years later, Temple Emanu-El is still viable and looks to the next 100 years to expand and grow beyond its original glory.